Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Confession


“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”  I John 1:9


Is there anything more delightful than admitting you are wrong?!  Confession is often a painful and distasteful activity.  We try to get around it.  Rather than saying I am sorry I hurt you we say “If I hurt you, I’m sorry.”  If asked “Did you do this?” children usually respond with “I might have.”

Admitting we are wrong, whether it be to God or man, requires a vulnerability that we are uncomfortable with.  But it must be done.  Jesus has paid the price for our sins.  He died on the cross and paid the penalty that we might be free.  Our part is to come to Him and confess our sins, His part is to cleanse and purify us.

Even after we come to Christ for salvation, we still stumble, we still fall.  Thus, confession should be a common part of the Christian’s prayer life.  Whoever said that confession is good for the soul, told the truth!  Confession makes us feel clean, honest and right before the Lord.  And the good news is that the more we do it, the easier it becomes.

When we come to God for confession and forgiveness, it is important that we truly take responsibility for our sins and transgressions.  “Lord, forgive me for all of my sins” is awesome to pray and results in salvation and a right relationship with the Lord.  But there are times that those blanket prayers do not really do the trick.  There are times we must call the sin by name and take responsibility for it.  “Lord, forgive me for being angry and having hatred in my heart toward my brother.”  “Lord, please forgive me for lustful thoughts I had when my co-worker came in wearing a tight-fitting outfit.”  “Lord I am angry with you because my loved one did not receive healing and died a painful death.”

These confessions may be painful to make, but the truth is that if we take one step toward Him, he covers the rest of the distance.  Confession is our part and we must take it seriously.  Confession is a constant reminder of who we are on our own, and who we become through His sacrifice.  I encourage you today to take a little time to do some spiritual housekeeping.  Confess to Him all your shortcomings.  You may be surprised how much closer you feel to Him when there is not unconfessed sin between you.

“Dear Lord, forgive me.  Forgive me for thinking I can do this on my own.  Forgive me for having unforgiveness toward people in my life.  Make me aware of any sin that is between us.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.
 
Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.