Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Check out the View

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God- this is your spiritual act of service.”  Romans 12:1


This is such a power-packed verse!  To just stop and take in the “view of God’s mercy” is enough to leave my mind boggled through eternity.  His mercy is rich, vast, and unending.  He has multiplied such mercy to me!  Every day I deserve judgment, punishment, death, but every day He keeps doling out His mercy on my behalf!  Selah- pause and calmly think about that.  Think of every failure, sin and shortcoming and recall the depth of mercy you have received.  And then…

Because of that- offer your body as a living sacrifice.  I once heard it said:  “The problem with a living sacrifice is that they keep crawling off the altar.”  This is so true!  I want to live- or die- for Jesus.  Until it gets rough and I am tempted to get up and move away from the fire.  Can you relate?  To offer my body as a living sacrifice means that my mouth is used only for his purpose (oh my!).  My hands work for His glory.  My feet carry forth His Word.  My mind reflects upon His principles and His Word.  My ears hear His voice.  My eyes behold His beauty.  Quite a tall order.  But in view of His mercy, a small thing for Him to ask or expect.

“Holy and pleasing to God”- To be holy is to be set apart.  It means that the particular item is no longer used for common purposes, but rather it is devoted to good and noble purposes.  I cannot tell you how often, with a house full of boys, my decorative towels have been used to wipe mud, grim and grease off of little hands.  The whole time I’m whining- “Why didn’t you use the hand towel hanging by the sink rather than the pretty towel on the rack!?”  Set apart for a special purpose, but made common by misuse. 

How many times have I set aside my mouth for His purpose, only to spew impatient words at motorists who sit and look at a green light as if it is a tourist attraction?  How many times have I set aside my mind to meditate on the Word of God, only to find myself rehearsing my anxieties or unforgiveness toward another?

The King James Version of this verse says “which is your reasonable service.”  Living in a way that is holy and pleasing to God is our reasonable service.  It is not asking too much.  It is the right amount of responsibility for us.  This is my spiritual worship or act of service to Him.  Because of that, I have to raise the standard and become the right kind of sacrifice.

In the Old Testament, when a sacrifice was needed they looked for a pure, unblemished, unspotted lamb.  They knew better than to bring to God a substandard sacrifice.  But sadly, in this day of grace, we have become accustomed to feeling that God will take any old thing from us.  How many times have I brought a sacrifice of praise half-heartedly?  How many times have I yielded my hands for His use, only to get tired and quit without finishing the task?  How many times have I brought a lame, one-eyed sacrifice to give to Almighty God?

Dear Lord, help me to be a living sacrifice for you.  One that is holy and pleasing to you.  Help me to rid myself of everything that defiles.  And thank you, thank you, Father, for your rich grace and mercy.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.