Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Up to Speed


“My dear brothers, take note of this:  Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”  James 1:19


This is one of those verses.  When I am doing well and having nor problems, I can read this and quickly assent, “Yes, that’s a good way to live.”  But when I have an injustice done to me, it seems the anger is there before I have a chance to think.  Then, BOOM!  I am quick to listen,, quick to speak and quicker still to become angry.  Then this verse hits me between the eyes.  Can anyone relate?

God’s Word is wise and profound.  Every syllable penned in the Word of God is intentional and has a purpose.  They exist because we need to hear them.

 Many a grade school teacher has reminded the students, “You have one mouth and two ears, so you should be listening twice as much as you are talking.”  I hate it.  But it’s true.  Why?  Because many times we only hear half the story.  We assume a whole bunch, we read into it and we blow our fuse before the person finishes what they are saying.

Choosing to hear a matter out to the end before jumping to a conclusion is one of the wisest things we can do.  Often, we are taking it as far worse than it is.  And of course, sometimes we are taking it exactly like it is.  That is why the next part says we are to be slow to speak.  Just because it crosses our mind does not mean it needs to jump out of our mouth.

How many times have we uttered hateful words when angry, because we wanted to reciprocate pain to the person hurting us?  How many times later do we regret those words?  We all know that an apology seldom erases all of the damage that thoughtless words have inflicted.  We forgive, but forgetting? That is so much more difficult.  If a comment is worth saying, it will be worth saying when all of the emotion of the moment has settled down.

Slow to become angry.  That’s a toughie, because it often seems like the anger comes out of nowhere.  But anger is something we can exert control over- if we rely on the help of the Holy Spirit.  We have to renew our minds to the truth of the Bible, and defer to the quiet voice of the Spirit speaking to us.

Dear Lord, help me overcome every evil tendency in my human nature.  Help me to reflect your image at all times and in every situation.  Help me to walk in wisdom and restraint.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.