Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, August 6, 2012

In My Defense


“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin.  But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense- Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.”  I John 2:1


To sin or not to sin- that is our choice.  We are all born with a sin nature, but once we come to a saving knowledge of Christ, a new nature comes to live inside of us.  With the indwelling of the Holy Spirit we have the ability to “will and to act according to his good purpose” (Philippians 2:13).

 Overriding the tendency to sin and do wrong is a choice we are faced with countless times throughout the day.  We make decisions about sinning in our relationships, in our work ethic, in how we handle our money, right down to the very thoughts we allow to take up residence in our mind.

In today’s passage, the Apostle John was urging his readers to not sin.  That is our first line of defense, making up our minds to try to avoid sin at all times, in all situations.  But knowing that we are human, he goes on to add “But if anybody does sin…” 

Sinning for a Christian should be a rare occasion.  When we were sinners, we were full-time sinners, occasionally doing something right.  But when we come to Christ, we should be full-time Christians, only occasionally doing something wrong.  We can never get lazy in our Christian walk.  We must always be on guard against the tendency to give in to our sin nature.

But the next part is the most beautiful part of this passage:  “…we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense”.  Thank God for Jesus!  I am so grateful that there is Someone defending me.  The Righteous One speaks on my behalf.  Incredible!  Usually the person, who has done nothing wrong, testifies against the wrong-doer in a trial.  This is the exact opposite.  The pure, blameless, sinless, spotless Lamb of God defends us!  He speaks on our behalf; He pays the penalty for our sin.  He advocates for us with the Father. 

Knowing that He defends us should spur us on to righteous living.  Do we really want to make him defend us over and over again for the same stupid choices?  I love Him too much to put Him in that position.  Once I had a relative who was in need of a job.  I went to bat for her with my supervisor to get her a job.  Ultimately, she decided she did not even want to interview for the position.  I was so embarrassed in front of my boss because I had put my name on the line for her- and she let me down.  How many times does he put His name on the line for us?  That should spur us on to our very best efforts. 

Today, strive to live your best for Him.  But take comfort in knowing that when we miss the mark, He stands ready to defend us.  He stands ready to forgive and restore us.  That is an offer too good to refuse.

Dear Lord, help me overcome my tendency to sin.  Help me overcome anger, selfishness, and irritation.  Let me live a life worthy of You.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

1 comment:

  1. Sherri,
    This is a powerful entry. Thank you for sharing God's truth (and for requesting FB friending *wink*).
    Tyna

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.