Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cast Away


“Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.”  Psalm 51:11

In a society where the name of the Lord is profaned and blasphemed, it is easy to forget what a privilege the presence of the Holy Spirit is.  We can never take for granted His presence in our lives. 

It is through the Spirit, that we are convicted of sin and drawn to God for salvation.  It is through His Spirit that we are encouraged, comforted, taught and led in the ways of God.  The Holy Spirit works in the life of a born-again believer as a constant companion, friend, counselor and personal trainer.  When I have anger in my heart, the Spirit of God reproves me and causes me to be aware of the sin lurking there.  When I see someone at the store, it is the Holy Spirit who impresses me to go to that person and tell them that God loves them or buy them a bag of groceries.  He knows where I need to be; what I need to say and what my heart should be at all times.

In this verse, David is pleading with God to not be cast from the presence or have the Spirit taken from Him.  He recognized his sin and realized that he was unworthy to be in the presence of Almighty God.  He was cognizant of his lack and his pervasive need of God.

We need to mimic the attitude of the psalmist.  He caught the vision that His sin could result in judgment; of him being utterly cast from God.  He also understood God’s prerogative to withdraw himself from an unworthy vessel.

Lord, don’t let my sin separate me from you or cast me out of your presence.  And please, don’t willingly remove yourself from me.  Help me make you comfortable dwelling with me.  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.