Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, September 24, 2013


Fleecing the Father

 

 

        

Judg 6:36-40

 

So Gideon said to God, "If You will save Israel by my hand as You have said —  37 look, I shall put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that You will save Israel by my hand, as You have said." 38 And it was so. When he rose early the next morning and squeezed the fleece together, he wrung the dew out of the fleece, a bowlful of water. 39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me, but let me speak just once more: Let me test, I pray, just once more with the fleece; let it now be dry only on the fleece, but on all the ground let there be dew." 40 And God did so that night. It was dry on the fleece only, but there was dew on all the ground.

NKJV

   

Have you ever felt unsure or in need of additional reassurance?   I surely have!  I especially feel that way when I am stepping out in a new direction, or doing something frightening or intimidating for the first time.  Sometimes the decisions that we are making are bigger than us.  Sometimes the consequences of making a wrong choice are so great that we can become paralyzed in our decision-making.

I love today's passage about Gideon.  I see myself so much in this "mighty man of valor" who saw himself as nothing.  He saw himself as one from the least tribe, the least clan and the least in his family.  He was hiding for fear of his enemies when the Lord  declared him to be mighty and valiant.

It would be easy to belittle Gideon's lack of faith.  After all, an angel had already appeared to him  and consumed his sacrifice in a miraculous way.  That should surely be enough for anyone.  But, oh, what a merciful God we serve!  He understood Gideon's frailty and insecurity.  He recognized that he was just a feeble man who had been through so much that he was broken in spirit.  He allowed him the blessing of not one, but two "fleeces."  Later, He even gave him a third confirming sign of his call. 

We need to be a people of faith.  We need to grow in our walk with the Lord that we no longer require three angelic trumpet blasts and an earthquake to prove God wants us to call and give someone an encouraging word or to give a generous offering.  We need to walk by faith and not be sight.  But when we are over our head, when we are stepping out in faith, when we have a large task to do- He understands our frailty and is willing to confirm His purpose to us!

Are you needing some reassurance today?  Ask your Father.  He knows you, he understands you and He is infinitely patient with you!

Dear Lord, I need some extra assurance today.  Please confirm Your will to me and show me the direction You would have me go.   In Jesus' Name.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.