Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Living Among Wolves





 

    
    
Matt 10:16
 
"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.
NKJV
 
If you are reading this blog, chances are you are a follower or Christ, or are interested in spiritual things.    Consequently, I feel relatively certain that you are concerned about the state of our world. I certainly am.   Wars,  rumors of wars, famines, earthquakes, calling good evil and evil good...  these are examples  of the signs of the end times.  The soon return of the Lord Jesus Christ is becoming a topic of conversation even as I am out conducting business in public.  People know something is about to happen.  Check out the titles of newly released movies.  The end of the world is a recurrent theme!
 
Today, I was talking with another lady in ministry about how it almost seems like the criminalization of Christianity is coming about in America.  Other religions or belief systems are to be tolerated, if not applauded.  Simultaneously, Christians are portrayed as narrow-minded hate propagators.  There appears to be tolerance toward every religion in America but Christianity.
 

In light of all of this political and even legal persecution, what is a Christian to do?  I think much of the answer lies in today's verse.  We are sheep among wolves.  We are meek and mild ( if we are living out the fruit of the Spirit).  There are vicious predators all about us.  But instead of locking us up in a pen, the Lord say "I send you out."  Even the very wolves  who seek to devour us are people created in the image of God and for His glory.  We must tell them about Jesus.  We must live it out before them.  We must be salt and light.  Their salvation, or at least the opportunity to hear truth, rests soundly on us, the body of Christ.
 
But as we are milling around the predators who could easily turn upon us and ravage us for dinner, we need to set our mind as Christ admonishes.   We have to be as wise as serpents and as harmless as doves.  What does that even mean?  We have to be aware.  We have to keep our eyes open.  We have to be strategic.  We have to be intentional.  We have to be knowledgeable.  Just because we look like sheep does not mean we do not need to be wise and prudent in our dealings.
 
The second part is that we are to be as harmless as doves.  That does not mean that we will never make someone angry.  Jesus told  us the world  hated him and would hate us as well.  But we do not need to purposefully be inflammatory and controversial.  If you can love a sinner in their sin, it goes a lot further than beating them over the head with your Bible!  As Christians,  we must strive to be helpful, rather than harmful.  There are times a person is helped with a kind word, a hug, or a word of encouragement.  Other times, what they may be most helped by, is a loving rebuke or strong word.  That does not mean we are not acting in love.  It means we are operating wisely and in accordance with the Spirit's leading.
 
I used to work in a mental health clinic.   One day I found myself trapped in my office with a desk, and a severely psychotic, delusional man between me and the door.  After that session, I rearranged my office.  I wanted to be able to help people, but first I had to protect myself!  We do not need to be foolish  in our dealings.  There really is a way to follow the Spirit's guidance and still utilize the common sense God entrusted to us.
 
Dear Lord, help me to be wise in these last days.  Show me how to mix grit with humility.  Righteous indignation with love.  Help me to be salt and light.  Even so, comely quickly, Lord Jesus!  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.