Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, September 30, 2013

Living in the Now...Preparing for the Future


                     

 

 

    

1 Peter 1:3-5

 

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

NKJV

 

I remember at a church I once attended, most of the songs we sang  were about the "sweet by and by."  The songs written at in the 1800's and seemed to reflect primarily on the hardships of life and the glory of the afterlife in heaven.  I enjoyed singing those songs- and still do- but find myself preferring songs about walking with the Lord here and now, on Planet Earth.  I enjoy songs about His current blessings in my life, His strength, His provision, and His peace.

But recently as times have become more difficult and the political climate more frightening, I find myself, like the believers of old, looking more and more beyond what is here to what shall be in heaven. Today's verses encapsulate a little bit of both viewpoints- a living hope and a future in heaven.  I think that a Christian is well served to keep the balance in their mindset and life.  We walk with Jesus today and can enjoy the abundance of His Spirit as we do the work He has left for us to do.  Simultaneously, we can look forward to a glorious inheritance in heaven where there will be no more to overcome.  We will enjoy His presence,  peace and joy forevermore! What a beautiful plan the Father has prepared for those who love Him and who are eager for His return.

Dear Lord, help me to see the world as You do.  Help me to live in expectation of Your return and my deliverance.  Also, Lord, help me to live today to the fullest I can as I walk in Your Spirit.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.