Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Giving All, Giving Nothing


 
    

1 Cor 13:1-3

 

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,* but have not love, it profits me nothing.

NKJV

 

Some things in life are hard on our flesh.  This is true even of spiritual things.  Verse three is a bitter pill to swallow!  The very idea that we could  completely empty ourselves of worldly treasures to help the poor, but get no return on it, is hard to understand.  But the next part is even more alien to our way of thinking- we can even die a martyr's death, but if we do it without love, it is meaningless!

How can these things even be true? They can, and they are. The Bible is nothing but a factual account of truth.  That goes to show us the high premium that the Lord places on love.  We can  do EVERYTHING  right, but if our heart is not right, we are not right!  God alone can cleanse the impurities from our heart.  He alone can rightly judge our intentions.  He alone gets to set the standard by which we are judged.

Many a good man or woman has sought to purchase salvation with good deeds.  Many have given money to a good cause to assuage guilt.  Many have volunteered their time to been seen as a generous benefactor.  All of that is meaningless!  There is no meaning, no context to life- without the essential requirement of love.  God is love.  He is synonymous with it.  If we are to be Godly, we must be loving.  Good deeds born of love have a huge impact in the lives of others and will be rewarded by our Heavenly Father.

Dear God, I need you to infuse me with your love.  Cleanse my motives and establish my works.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.