Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, October 25, 2013

Love Continued


 

    

1 Cor 13:1-3

 

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.  Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;  Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;  

 

NKJV

 

These verses are like 3-4 little mini sermons per verse.  They are packed with such rich food-for-thought, that it is hard to digest it all  in one quick reading.  But as we dwell on the various thoughts, it becomes easier to absorb and apply.

"Love does not behave rudely."  In some ways this part is ironic.  Because oftentimes we are most likely to behave unseemly around those that we love the most and are closest to.  Why?  Because we know that they will love us regardless.  But that is not us showing love to them.  Rather, it is us presuming upon their love.  In truth, the people we love the most should be the very ones that we try the hardest to honor and respect.

"Love does not seek its own."  That is a mouthful.  When was the last time you were listening to someone else just waiting for a second to take the conversation back?  How many times do we befriend those that can get us somewhere in life and  rebuff those that have nothing to offer? This should not be!  Love sees the inherent value in each person and seeks to give and serve, rather than take and exploit.

"Love is not provoked."  Some people just seem to have a chip on their shoulder.  It does not take anything to set them off.  We should not have a shortfuse, rather we must be hard to anger and offend.  I  firmly believe that this comes  more naturally to some personality types.  But regardless of our natural tendency, love (God's love in us) should produce the same fruit in all of us.

"Love thinks no evil."  When we are walking in love we are not assuming the worst about people, nor are we plotting ways to harm others.  Love is about building people up and encouraging them.  Love is inherently good and will not breed any evil intent.

I urge you to pray over these verses and give yourself a "love check-up."  How are you measuring up? I personally have some improving to do!

Dear God, help me to embrace and embody these characteristics of love that you outline. Forgive me for falling so short of the mark.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.