Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Job Description of Love


 

    

1 Cor 13:1-3

 

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.  Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;


 

Love suffers long.  That doesn't sound very romantic, does it? The idea of suffering is difficult to embrace.  But being longsuffering...wow!  And yet, it is the very hallmark of love.  Love puts up with stuff- weaknesses, shortcomings, personality, flaws..all of it!  But love does  not just endure patiently.  It goes to the next phase and continues to be kind.  Thoughtful.  Caring.  Giving. These are all adjectives used to describe real love.  It is a tall order, but one we can fill, in God's power.

Not only that, but love does not envy.  When our friends get something we have been wanting badly, but are unable to get, real love rejoices with them. It does not wish for what another has- not relationships, good looks, wealth, a good  job,  even spiritual gifting- none of that is cause for envy.  We have to crucify those feelings and rejoice when our loved ones rejoice.  Anything else is not love and can grow into many other negative emotions.

"Love does not parade itself."   Don't you just love it? That passage gives me a mental picture of someone strutting about and drawing attention to themselves. This is not love.  Love makes a big deal about the other person, not about ourselves.  Love lets the other person be the center of attention.  Love lets someone else get the credit.

Love is not proud, arrogant, or boastful.  It is not puffed up with a sense of self-righteousness or entitlement.  Love is not angry or pouty.  Love is  not prickly or easily offended.

Are you starting to get a picture of the nobility of love?  It is such a "high road" lifestyle.  This type of love is an emotion-turned-action.  It is nothing like an ooey-gooey feeling.  It is not for wimps nor the faint of heart.  Real love is for those willing to suffer to bless someone else.

 

Dear God, I fall short of walking in your definition of  love.  I pray that you help me to grow in these  areas.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.