Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, October 28, 2013

True Joy


 

    

 

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.  Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;  Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;  does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;

 

NKJV    

 

As a parent, I have tried to stress the truth to my boys that real friends want what is best for you.  True friends, do not encourage you to get into sin, or enjoy you being in sin.  Rather, true friends urge you to walk in keeping with truth. Friends do not encourage you to get into trouble.

The saying that "misery loves company" is true.  A good number of people who are living an unhappy and miserable life encourage other people to join them.  Why?   Because we do not like to be alone in our mess.  If somebody else is doing it, we feel less condemned about our choices.  Less empty and alone.

Love tells the truth to a friend, even when the truth hurts.  Love does not condone self-destructive paths  and urges friends to take care of themselves.  Love requires us to be honest when we see a person begin a string of wrong choices.  It does not take any special moral fiber to tell someone what they want to hear.  But a strong and loving person will tell you what you need to hear.

Real love is based in truth.  It is built upon truth and sustained by truth.  Lies and love do not mix!

Are there area in a relationship where you are feeling the need to lie to sustain the relationship?  Begin to seek the Lord today about how you can bring the relationship into truth and real love.

Dear God, help me to be a person of truth in all relationships.  Help me to urge people around  me to remain in truth rather than inquity.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.