Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Getting Happy


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of  many kinds."   I John 3:11-15

Oh what rapturous delight when something horrible happens! Yeah, right.  That is probably not your response, and it is never mine! I count it joy when things go well, but I struggle with finding the ”happy" in the horrible.

But I know what James, the Lord's brother, is saying.  When things go wrong, you can rejoice in knowing God is working for your better good. You can trust that He is developing character and fruit in your life. Further, we can find inner contentment  and thanksgiving knowing that we are not going through it alone.  The Comforter walks beside us.  The Helper gives us strength to stand.  The Teacher shows how to respond.  The Defender pleads our case. The Provider opens the storehouse.  The Prince of Peace assures us all  is well.  The Rock grants us a firm footing that cannot be shaken.

KJV says "count it all joy."  I just counted several opportunities for you-and me- to experience joy in the hard times.  The joy is not in the adverse circumstances, but rather in the One who sees me safely through the storm.

Are you facing hard times?  Is it more than you can face?  Begin to take stock of all the ways that you can see the hand of God in your life.  Before you know it, joy and strength will well up in your spirit!

Dear Lord, thank you that there are countless ways that you bring joy, even in the darkest of nights.  Help me to see you, and not my mountain.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.