Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hear It and Heed It




 

"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves.  Do what is says." James 1:22


 

Open wide!  Take your medicine.  I know it's bitter.  I know you want to run from it, but gulp down every drop- you are going to need it... if you are going to get well.  That is what today's verse is- medicine.  STRONG medicine!

 

At first glance, this verse could seem overly simplistic.  Somewhat like saying, if you have a weight problem, quit over-eating. Or if you are in debt, quit spending.  We know that!  We just are not sure how to actually do it.

 

So today's verse boils down to this- 1) hear the Word; 2) obey the Word.  Alrighty then. That sounds like instructions a preschooler could follow.  So why is it hard?  Because we tend to be selfish and self-serving.  Because we want easy, comfortable and convenient.  Character does not come like that.  It comes when we take the hard road because it is right.  It comes  when  we go the extra mile with no hope of return on our effort.

 

The Bible says to be slow to become angry.  Thus, we must conquer our temper.  The Bible says not to gossip, therefore we must curb our tongue.  The Bible warns us against lust.  So you may need to avoid the lingerie catalog!  It is really not hard to understand what God wants; really it comes down to one simple thing.  Obedience.  But it is hard, we whine.  To our flesh it is.  But when we set our heart to obey, the Spirit of God shows up to help.  The grace of God grants us the "can do."  That's the difference between the examples I gave about weight loss and debt reduction and obedience to the Bible.  The Word of God goes beyond common sense, because it is a living Word.  God hovers over his Word to perform it and to help us to carry it out in our own lives.

 

I also cannot  overstate the importance of Godly friends who keep us accountable.  Today I was tempted to cut a corner in a situation, to compromise a bit to save time and money.  Knowing my temptation, I called upon a Godly friend and said "Talk the devil out of me."  And she did.  It tasted a little bitter in my mouth, but it settled on my stomach as pleasant. Doing the right thing really does, just feel better!!

 

 

Dear Lord, help me to be obedient to all of the commands in the Bible.  Not just to the  ones I find easy.  In Jesus' Name. Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.