Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, June 17, 2013

No Excuses


 

 

"When tempted, no one should say, God is tempting me.  For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone, but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed."   James 1:13-14

"His own evil desire." That is what causes temptation.  Not injustice, not seduction, not the devil making me do it.  It's all me.  When I am tempted it is because of an evil desire that I have. That is what opens wide the door for the enemy to come in and drag me away and entice me.  (I hope as you read this that you are applying the "me's" to yourself as well!)

That is one of those hard-to-swallow truths.  We like to blame others.  That has been going on since the first sin in the Garden of Eden.  It is very difficult to take full responsibility for our own wrong doing.  Has the Lord ever required the hard confession from you?  You know the one.  It is where you have to say, "I am  sorry I did ____, I was wrong."  The end.  No justification.  No explanation.  No reminding the other person that they played a part.  That smarts!  God has required that of me a number of times.  It is very humbling and it takes a work of God's grace to carry it out.

What tempts you?  What appeals to you?  What area of your life do you most struggle with? Temper?  Lust?   Worldly possessions or pursuits?  Being judgmental?   Whatever your "hot button" is,  begin to ask the Lord to show you what wrong desire is at the root of your temptation.  Then begin to ask for revelation of the problem and the strength to pull it out at the root.

Dear Lord, I struggle with _____.  Please forgive me for the wrong desire of ___. Help me to be wiser and stronger through the Holy Spirit.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.