Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Crisis of Faith


16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ,* for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:16-18 (NKJV)


 

 

Faith.  Is there a more confusing concept in all of Scriptural teaching?  Don't get me wrong I understand what faith is.  I understand its importance.  I know that it comes from hearing the Word of God.  I know that through faith people have received answered prayers, victories, healing and deliverance from adverse  circumstances.  I know that we received Christ by faith.  We are saved by faith.  Without it, we will not please God.

So you may be asking by now then what is confusing about it?  For me, it is when I believe, truly believe...  and it still does not turn out as I have prayed and believed.  I am not talking about praying for a million dollar check to come in the mail. I am talking about praying for healing.  Healing that is provided  in the atonement.  Healing that does not appear to happen while someone is still on this Earth.  If we are honest, we have all had instances where we felt confused about the role of faith within a situation.  After those times I have poured hours into studying the Bible, trying to find out where I missed it.  To see what the Bible says about it. I know some were healed because they came to Christ and asked.  Some were healed by the laying on of hands.  Some were healed because others came for them to Jesus.  Others were healed by the spoken word from far away.  Peter's shadow healed people. Paul's apron healed people.   Some people are healed because of their own faith.  Others are healed because of the faith of a loved one.  Trust me. I  have studied it out.  But I still have unanswered questions.

But for me, I have decided whether I understand it now, or not until heaven, I will not deny my faith.  I will not give up on it, I will not back down, I will not water down what the Word of God says is true. His Word is truth, everything else a lie.  Sometimes we just have to trust in the One who is higher than we can understand, the One who works purposes we cannot perceive.  This passage talks about "the righteousness of God being revealed from faith to faith."  This encourages me because sometimes I have little faith, other times more.  But either way, I am making progress moving from faith to faith.  I see it as stepping stones in a brook.  If I do not pass the faith test this time, I try again on the next rock.  If I get wet, I get up and hop on another faith rock.  As I go, I learn a little more, I grow in the  faith, and little by little, I please God.  Oh, I would love to be a woman of big, bodacious faith.  But for now, I have to just keep making forward progress. 

Maybe you are on a mountain with your faith today, recently having prayers answered.  I praise God with you!  Maybe you are in the valley today and feel your "faith foundation" has crumbled.  I weep with you.  We all go through crises of our faith.  But please, do not give up.  Without faith, we cannot see God.  Without faith we cannot please God. Without faith, we cannot do anything.  Do not cast off your faith.  It will be richly rewarded.

 

Dear Lord, I pray for those today in a crisis of faith.  Grant them the gift of faith to believe beyond the seeing of their eyes and the understanding of their minds.  Increase my faith, O Lord I pray!  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.