Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, July 29, 2013

Sustained


 

 

  "Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me."  Psalm 54:4


 

 
My five year old cracks me up sometimes.  Lately he has starting yelling out, "A little help here!"  His need can be as complicated as he is trapped under something,  or  simple as he cannot get a package open.  Either way, his emphatic demand gets my attention.  There have been times that I have been in dire need of help myself.  It is so frustrating when that happens when there is no one around to offer any assistance.  Thank goodness, the Lord is always present to call upon.

 

This verse says "Surely God is my help." Surely.  Certainly.  Definitely.  Without a doubt.  We must be convinced that He alone is our help.  He may lay it on someone's heart to give you money. He may show the doctor what prescription to write.  But at the end of the day, God  is the One who comes through for us. No matter what our need is, he has the commodity to make it happen in our life. And not just the tangibles.  He also supplies grace, joy and peace in the meantime.

 

"The Lord is the one who sustains me," no truer words were ever spoken.  Other people can, and do, speak words of comfort and encouragement to me.  Other people pray for me and exhort me.  I look within myself sometimes and find the strength to keep going.  But unless God anoints it, their words are just words and my efforts to "pull myself up by my bootstraps" are in vain. He made me.  He made all of creation.  By Him all was made and all continues to be held together.  This includes us humans. He is our Creator and our Sustainer.

 

Lately, I have been struggling in some areas.  My mind begins to tell me, "I can't do this anymore." "I have to get out of this."  "I just can't go on."  But at the end of every day, I can see that I did somehow make it through- and relatively in one piece!  I don't know where you are walking today, but if you are feeling helpless and hopeless, take heart!  He is your help.  He is your hope.  He is your Sustainer.  Call on Him to see you through.

 

Dear Lord, I need you help in the area of _____.  I need you to uphold and sustain me.  Carry me when I cannot walk, and grant me inner strength and fortitude to plunge forward.  In Jesus' Name. Amen.

 

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.