Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tender Comfort




 

"Comfort, comfort my people,  says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem and proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she has received from the Lord's hand double for all her sins." Isaiah 40:1-2


 

I love this picture of a tender, loving Father God.  Sure, I know He is just.  I know He is  all-powerful, holy and righteous.   I rejoice in all the characteristics of this awesome God.   But as someone who has fallen short of His righteousness, I rejoice to know that He is still tender toward me.  In this passage, the Israelites had displeased and disobeyed God, resulting in a period of chastisement.  But even  in this, Isaiah  was prophesying hope to them about a future time when their "time out" would be over and they would be restored to the Lord.

 

God is a loving and consistent Father. When we fail him, when we choose sin, He loves us too much to let it go unanswered.  There have been so many times as a mother that I have regretted needing to discipline my children.   I love them!  It hurts me to scold or administer discipline.  But something I have often told them is that I love them too much to let them be someone that others would dread to see coming!  The best for them is to have character rather than comfort at times.   Father God sees that we get a little bit of both, in good measure.  He chastens us to develop  our character and then  He comforts us, to prevent us from being too overcome to get up and try again.

 

As a Godly mom (which is my aim!), I try to not just discipline in anger but instead, to do it because it is needed.  Afterward, I try to speak words of love or affirmation to my son explaining why he was wrong and why the punishment was needful. Then, if am hitting the mark that day, I try to hug and restore them immediately to right fellowship with me.  I fail as a parent to reach this ideal, but I do try to mimic the way God parents me. When I repent, He takes me in His arms and restores me.  Jesus paid the price for my  restoration, therefore God does not need me to pay it again.  There are times, obviously, that there are repercussions for my folly.  We do reap what we sow.  But even then he speaks tender comfort to my heart. 

 

I sense someone needs to know today that God is not mad, He is speaking words of comfort and affirmation over you.  He loves you.  He wants you to lift you head and go forward.  Your sin is paid for,  do not try to cover the bill yourself.

 

 

Dear Lord, thank you for your discipline which is always based in love.  Thank you for tender comfort and heart of reconciliation toward me.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.