Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Sinking Soul



   

 

Remember my affliction and roaming, The wormwood and the gall.

20 My soul still remembers And sinks within me. 21 This I recall to my mind,

  Therefore I have hope. Lam 3:19-21 (NKJV)

 

"Lower than a snake's belly." That is the Southern vernacular for what I understand Jeremiah to be describing here.  There are times that it seems all our mind can remember is affliction, suffering and roaming.  When our minds are consumed with the "negatives" of life, it just naturally results in the soul or heart sinking.  What an awful feeling it is as we feel ourselves sinking.  If we are not careful, we, as born-again children of God, can still sink into a pit of despair.

 

I often think of the Prophet Elijah.   After God used him in an awesome manifestation of His power, we find Elijah on the run, despairing of his very life.  He is so depressed that the Lord has to dispatch an angel to minister to his needs and to keep him going.  It is easy for us, the reader, to look  at the Scripture and question what causes these men of God to slip into despair.  I think it is important for us to understand that those who are "movers and shakers" in the kingdom of God, present a threat to the devil; and are consequently given more things to battle.  Thank God we have a ready and able Defender on our side!

 

I love how the prophet begins to call to mind, the One who gives him hope.  Before we continue to the next verse, just let today's verses sink in.  When it looks hopeless, when your face is downcast, when there is no obvious solution, recall to mind and therefore have hope, in the One who holds all the answers.  We do not have to understand.  We do not have to see the answer coming.  But we cannot occupy our minds only with afflictions, but rather, we must occupy our thoughts with the things that give us hope.

 

 

Dear Lord, I choose to call to mind Your faithfulness, Your love, Your mercy, and Your grace.  Help me to have hope and no longer recall the things that give despair.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.