Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Reckless Faith




 

    

 

"Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You."  Ps 56:3 (NKJV)


 

He had felt this way before!  He was  thrilled, he was ecstatic, he felt dangerous and adventurous.  But this time was different.  This was a very big deal.  This was a challenge like none before.  He kept his gaze fixed upon the goal- he could not look down, around or away from his destination.  He swallowed hard, and slowly, he began to move his trembling, sandaled feet.  Just a little more...  finally he stepped over.  Slowly at first;  but then, he began to pick up speed and confidence.  And then... and then, came the loudest howling wind he had ever heard.  The waves of the sea towered over him.  And for a moment, a single moment, he took his eyes off of his destination... he quit looking at Jesus and he faced the object of his fear.  Immediately his foundation gave way and began to collapse beneath his feet.  The water that had held him so soundly before was once again liquefied.  He was going under. He would drown.  Unless... he then turned his now-bobbing head to Jesus and cried out, "Lord, save me!"

 

Ah, the Apostle Peter.  The only recorded human to ever walk on water; besides of course, Jesus Christ.  What a story he had to tell his grandkids!  I feel that any time the story was repeated, it was with increasing bravado about the walk of his life.  Hopefully, he also had enough humility to recount how Jesus had saved him just in the nick of time. 

 

We face stuff in life.  Scary things; intimidating things.  The voice of Jesus continues to cry out, "Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in me."  (John 14:1)  Our minds and our fleshly nature wants to trust in the tangibles, the things we can control ourselves.  God is calling us to greater.  He wants to reach beyond what we can see, feel or understand.  "But I am afraid," you may say.  Me too!  Horrified even.  But today's verse puts it in perspective- when you are afraid, trust in God!  You are right, it is bigger than you.  The waves are, in fact, towering over you.  Trust on in faith!  Your ability to walk on water is rooted in nothing other than you trust in God.   Fix your eyes on Jesus, swallow your fear and do it afraid! 

 

I am out of the boat.  Care to join me?


Lord, I am leaving the safety of the ship.  You said, "Come,"  and here I come!  If you do not come through, I will go under.  Thank you that I can trust you to be greater than my fears.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.