Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, August 2, 2013

Cleansed with Compassion


 

 

"Now a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him, "If You are willing, You can make me clean."

41 Then Jesus, moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, 'I am willing; be cleansed.' "  Mark 1:40-41 (NKJV)

 

I guess if I had to pick one of the things that I most love about Jesus, it would be His compassion.  He looks at us, sees our mess, and is moved with compassion.  He could have felt disgust because the sin-torn world we live in, was a choice that man made.  Thus, we are deserving of some of the problems that come our way. But instead, He has mercy on us.  He could look upon us in judgment, reckoning us to deserve whatever we get, but instead, He loves us!

 

I am especially blessed by the account with the leper.  It shows that Jesus did not just feel compassion for the socially ostracized and infirm man.  He reached out in love and touched him.  A touch that was likely to expose Him to the same dread disease.  He touched someone who had probably not been touched since he was first diagnosed.  At least not by a clean person!  The very thing that repels others, draws our Lord.   He is not intimidated by our sickness or bondage.

 

People talk about some of our modern heroes- firemen, by saying, "When others run out, firemen run in."  (This is so true- and a special thanks to you in that line of work! ) But even more, when Jesus sees a disaster, He approaches to render aid.  When He senses sadness, He is no fair-weathered friend.  He stays by our side. 

 

Struggling with habitual sin?   Caught in a trap of your own making?  Jesus is calling your name today and saying, "I am willing; be cleansed."  Receive His touch and help today!

 

Dear Lord, I need you to forgive me for struggling with ____.  Wash me, cleanse me and make me whole, I pray.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.


 

 

 

 

 

                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.