Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Escape From the Pit




 

    

 

2 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,

Out of the miry clay,

And set my feet upon a rock,

  And established my steps. Ps 40:2 (NKJV)

 

 

I enjoy visiting the caverns.  For the most part.  But the claustrophobic part of me dislikes the feeling of going deeper, deeper still, under the surface of the Earth. What if the thing collapses?  How much breathable air would remain and for how long?

 

Depression, gloom and despair are a lot like an underground cave or pit. It is hard to breathe.  There is little light.  And there is a good chance that the only way you will  escape is if someone helps you out.

 

Today's verse talks about The Great Deliverer.  The Lord will "bring us up" out of a horrible pit.  That infers to me that He is willing to walk deep down into the pit, to where I am, and lend a hand of escape.  Jesus defeated death, hell and the grave at His death.  He arose victorious over anything that could hold us down or bind us.

 

I grew up on the top of a clay hill.  When it would rain, slipping and sliding in the clay  was a given.   When we are in a pit, the slippery slope can prevent us from making progress and cause us to fall deeper in, as we try to dig our way out.  Thank God that He puts our feet on solid ground.  He holds on to us to keep us from falling, as He lifts us up, up, up, out of the pit of despair.

 

Are you fighting oppression today?   Are you in the pits?  Down in the dumps?  Begin to cry aloud for your Deliverer to come on the scene and plant your feet upon His  rock.

 

 

  Dear God, I am in a pit today of ____.  Lift me up out of it, O Lord.  Give me solid ground to stand upon even as I feel that I am sinking in quick  sand. I trust You to deliver me.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.