Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Gift that Keeps on Giving



  "The Lord  will give strength to His people;

  The Lord  will bless His people with peace. " Ps . 29:11 (NKJV)

 

It was a balmy spring evening in 1991.  I was being honored as my due date for my firstborn drew near.  A group of about 40 ladies were gathered around me in a circle, watching me as I opened each present.  Sleepers, blankets, diapers, booties, so much  great stuff that I needed.  And then I opened the one bag... In it was a beautiful peach crocheted...??? Heaven help!  I  did not recognize the item at all.  It was certainly beautiful, and I quickly schooled my  features, "oohed, ahhhed" and asked if it was handmade.  The lady proudly admitted that she had, in fact made it.  I had hoped her description would move on to tell what the item was.  But alas, that was not the case.  I believe that she likely found out about the shower and at the last minute grabbed something out of her "last minute gift" closet.  I later determined that it was probably a table topper.  Nevertheless, I felt I had succeeded in appearing duly pleased with her thoughtful gift.  But when the film was developed (yes it was the last century) there is it was in full-color glory.  My face caught in bewilderment as I held it up in front of me.  Busted!  Anyone could see I had no idea what the gift was!

 

I  love that the Lord never gives us dorky gifts that we cannot enjoy.  He gives us just what we need, just when we have need of it.  He gives strength to His people and blesses them with peace.  These are timeless classics.  Perennial gifts.  No matter how much strength or peace we presently have, we need an ongoing supply to sustain us. 

 

When life throws us curveballs, we can lose our peace as our mind runs amuck with fear and worry.  Walking in the Spirit allows us to quickly adjust and regain our peace and confidence that the Lord has it under control.  His strength is like that as well.  As soon as we need more to meet a demand, He liberally infuses us with more.

 

This verse has no hidden nuggets of truth.  It is just straightforward facts about our kingdom benefits.  But on days like today, I need the reminder that He will meet my need.  His blessings are perfect and sure.

 

  Dear God, thank you for the gift of peace and of your strength.  Please increase my peace to meet the challenges that have met me today. I need your strength, to keep me from fainting in the fight.   In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.