Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Friday, August 9, 2013

Presiding Peace




    

 

   

 

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful."  Col 3:15 (NKJV)


 

 

I like this verse.  It is awesome advice to live by.  Sadly, I do not always live up to its standards.  Sometimes, I let rationalizing, worrying and fretting rule in my heart.  Sometimes I get so busy looking at where I want to end up, I forget to be thankful for where I am now.

 

"Let the peace of God rule in your heart" has so many connotations to me.  First of all, it means, let it sit on the throne of your heart.  Let it have preeminence to anything else.  A second things this could imply is that we are to let the peace of God make the rulings of our life.  Should I quit my job?  Should I pursue this course of study?  The best way to decide is to go with the decision that results in the most peace in your heart.  A third thing I take away from this verse, is that I have a responsibility to let peace rule in my heart.  Peace  will not hog-tie me and make me obey.  It quietly beckons, offering help.  Ultimately, it is up to me how much leverage I give to it.

 

The second part of this verse that strikes me is the importance of being thankful.  The "Old-timers" used to implore us to "count our blessings."  It is still good advice.  When I am having a rough day and choosing to be thankful it can go something like this.  Lord thank you for:

 

·         saving me

·         blessing with a wonderful husband

·         my beautiful children

·         my mother & my mother & father-in-law

·         a home to live in

·         food

·         clothing

·         clean water

·         vehicles

·         freedom to worship you

·         a fantastic church family

·         supportive friends

·         jobs to support our family, etc.

 

The list is positively endless.  Practicing the "attitude of gratitude" takes some effort.  But thinking upon "the pure and lovely" (Col.  3:8) really will help reset our minds to happier, more positive, hopeful and powerful thoughts.

 

Let's get our peace and praise on!

Dear God, I am humbled by your provision and protection of me.  Thank you for all of the wonderful blessings you pour out in my life.  Help me to center myself in you, and let peace preside.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.