Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Piercing the Darkness with the Sun


    

 

 For the Lord  God is a sun and shield;

 The Lord  will give grace and glory;

 No good thing will He withhold

 From those who walk uprightly. Ps 84:11 (NKJV)

 

There are so many wonderful descriptive words used to refer to our glorious God.  Today's verses have a couple of lesser used terms -a sun and a shield.   I look forward to the new heavens and new earth where Jesus will be our sun as described in Rev. 21:22-23:  

 

22 But I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it,* for the   glory* of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. (NKJV)

What a marvelous light!  There have been a lot of rainy days over the last few weeks.  Many people in our area agreed that it had been the most uninterrupted rainy days in most people's remembrance.  Many of us commented that day after day of gloomy, stormy weather, where there was no visible sunlight, resulted in gloominess and depression of mood.  We just thrive more when we are exposed to the sun of His Glory.  Thankfully, there is no darkness that He cannot conquer.  No oppressive blackness that he cannot illuminate with the brilliance of His majesty.

 

It also says that He is our shield- Thank God!  He covers us from the fiery darts of our enemy.  He raises a standard to drive back assaults from the evil one.  He provides both our light and our protection.  And yet, that is still only a small glimmer of one facet of His vast greatness.

 

I am devoid of anything gracious or glorious in my natural personality.  If it were not for the redeeming grace of God, I cannot fathom what my life would be like.  I have not yet arrived to all that I hope to attain in Him.  I will continue to journey towards His perfection as long as I live.  But I am encouraged and heartened to know that he will keep giving grace and glory to me.  I do not deserve glory, and yet He chooses to use me to display His glory against the lackluster backdrop of my frail humanity. 

 

I am so grateful to know that he will not withhold anything good from us who walk uprightly before Him.  There have been days that I have struggled with seeing the good He is brining my way.  At times, I am ashamed to admit, I have wondered if He no longer desired to bless me.  But according to this verse, it is just no so!  If it is good for us, pleasing, in His will, and a blessing, He will not deny us from having it.  Results delayed do not necessarily mean  results denied.

 

Do you need Him to pierce the darkness?  Do you need protection from the enemy of your soul?  Are you in need of a greater measure of His grace and glory?  Are there some "good things" you are trusting God for?  Look up!  He is Your Source.  Call on Him.  He will answer.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.