Sherri Evans

Sherri Evans

Monday, August 5, 2013

Developing a Compassionate Touch




 

   

 

8 The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.  Ps 145:8 (KJV)

 

When we are hurting,  what is  it we want from people?  Understanding?  Compassion?   Wise counsel?

 

We all have different ways of responding to our own pain as well as different ways that we respond to the pain of others.  The people that I prefer to confide in are those who most exhibit the attitudes of the Lord listed in this verse.  I want a compassionate listener.  Someone who does not get angry with me because of my feelings.  Someone who has mercy on me and understands that I am struggling.  I try to be that friend.  But of course, we all fall short of the excellence of the Lord. 

 

I am so grateful that even when I am wrong, He understands why I feel like I feel, and He cares.  He doesn't make me clean up my feelings, or immediately tell me how wrong I am.  He just loves and accepts me.  If there are sins, He lovingly points them out.

 

The compassion of Christ is no small feature.  It is almost impossible to receive correction from someone whom you do not feel truly loves and cares about you.  But we know He cares.  He wrote His love in His own blood at Calvary.  I am so grateful for his unconditional love and compassion for my failures and shortcomings.  Because of that, I readily receive His correction.

 

When I think of the Lord's holiness and justice, it is a wonder that He does not spend all of His time just correcting us. But instead, He shows us His love and compassion for what makes us how we are.  He knows that we are dust.  He knows that we are worms.  But He loves us. 

 

We must strive to live as He did- with compassion, tender mercy and understanding.  This "soft touch" will allow us to reach more people than an attitude that requires others to meet our righteous standard.

 

 

  Dear God, thank you for your love, acceptance and compassion. Help me to live that out before others as well.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

 

Sherri

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Feel free to share how these posts are impacting your life.